Occupational therapy is diverse, using a variety of strategies to help people engage in meaningful life occupations. For children ‘occupations’ can include play, self-care (including toileting and dressing), going to school, pursuing hobbies and even sleep.
Our occupational therapists’ facilitate development, increase independence, enhance skills and promote participation in your child’s day to day activities.
Follow the links below to find out more about the areas in which occupational therapy can benefit your child. Occupational therapists at Western Kids Health also offer support with the following issues.
Chronic Condition Management
- Group therapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Graded exposure programs
- Sleep hygiene
- Goal based therapy
- Graded return to school plans
- School liaison
- Fatigue management
Cognitive skill development
- Emotional regulation
- Stress management
- Sensory regulation
- Attention and concentration
- Self-esteem and confidence
Movement and coordination
- Body awareness and laterality
- Motor planning and sequencing
- Visual motor integration (eye-hand-coordination)
- Visual perception